Pages

Thursday, 4 April 2013

Pretending to be a cook

I cook. My mom taught me to cook. I don't remember when she started teaching me but it's a skill she felt we all should know. While I'm not an amazing cook, my dishes are good enough for the family and occasionally guests.

When I got married, I had to learn to cook according to diL's tongue. Not easy, but I'm getting a hang of it now. I used to rant about how I had to cook two types of the same dish, one to suit diL and another to suit my family. Someone once said to me, "He should learn to eat what's on the table". I might have agreed to that statement initially but after I thought long enough, it wasn't fair. If I threw that same phrase back to the person who said it, I don't think he or she will be able to do it.

diL's living with me and my parents. It's easier to have your own mom prepare food the way you've grown to know and love, it's a different story when you're suddenly in a new environment. So that's where I come in, I'll try to bridge the gap.

Last night, I cooked two packs of noodles. diL bought the ingredients, I prepared them and ta-daaah, meal for diL and the family. Mee Goreng wetwetwet. Now, my boy is a rice kinda guy and will only eat noodles if there's no other choice. To see him happily have three full servings and complimenting how nice it was, that inflates my ego. I asked him, "So how? Worth your 8K?". He replied, "Of course!". Super inflate.

Mee Goreng wetwetwet consists of my homemade freshly kisar-ed cili paste (cili kering + bawang + bawang putih + belacan), some tomato sauce and kicap. Tossed in peeled prawns, diced meat, mixed veg, taugeh, scrambled eggs and noodles. For the wetwetwet part, I used meat stock (I boiled the meat before I diced them). No salt, no sugar. Awesome enough for the husband, good enough for me. I timed myself, everything done in 45minutes, with help from the sister with de-shelling the prawns.

Sometimes I have limited time to prepare a decent meal for him, so I'll do my usual campak-campak dishes. When I feel a sudden motivation to cook, I would hunt down recipes and get his help to buy the ingredients. Often, they'd turn out ok, occasionally, I'd amaze myself.

 Spaghetti with hotdogs.

 Experimental Mee Hongkong.


 Failed attempt at Sambal Goreng Pengantin turned into the normal Sambal Goreng. Oh well, still sedap.

 One of my campak-campak, Hotdog Telur Kentang with Tomato Sauce.

 Cheese fries. HAHAHHAHA.

 Ayam Masak Merah.

Doesn't look like it but Nasi Lemak. Heh.
 Nasi Goreng Pattaya.

Some daging campak-campak stew.

1 comments:

Erda M. Kamal said...

baik ar mak. tepukan gemuruh ar bagi sama lu! you should start a recipe segment for kitchenidiots like me. so i can kepo and pick up some lesson or two from you.

Post a Comment